Hearty Lentil Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
This lentil soup is rich in protein, and easy to whip up in 10 minutes of less. Another one-pot wonder!
- 2 cups dry green or brown lentils
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic chopped (or pressed)
- 32 ounce carton chicken broth (can substitute vegetable)
- 2 cups water
- 2 large or 4 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup fresh or frozen spinach (optional)
- Saute garlic in olive oil on medium low until scent is released.
- Add broth and water, bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add lentils, carrots, celery, oregano and chili powder.
- Cook on medium for 25 minutes or simmer on low for 1-2 hours (until lentils soften).
- Add spinach 10 minutes before serving.
- Add more water if lentils expand and absorb too much liquid.