Gluten Free Cast Iron Pizza
Recipe Type: Dinner
Serves: serves 2
One of the most difficult things for me when I went gluten free was eliminating pizza from my diet. It’s not that I eat it all the time, but every once in a while on a Friday or Saturday night, it’s a nice treat. With this recipe you can make your own dough and enjoy a delicious home made pie!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I use Namaste brand and highly recommend it)
- 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 3/4 tsp. Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup water, cold
- 1 tbs. olive oil (for greasing pan)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite pizza sauce
- 4 oz. mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- any toppings you like to add to make it your own
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, yeast and salt.
- Stir in cold water and combine well.
- Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Allow dough to rest on the counter for 12 to 18 hours (it will increase in size).
- Sprinkle the dough with a little gluten free flour.
- Lightly stir until it forms a ball.
- Grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet with olive oil (make sure to do the sides too).
- Place the dough ball in the greased skillet, spreading close to the edge with oiled fingers. It’s ok if it doesn’t spread to the edges.
- NOTE: If you like a thin crust like I do, use 3/4 of the dough.
- Cover the pan with a lid or plate and let rest for an hour.
- Preheat oven to highest temperature (mine is 550 degrees).
- Add sauce, cheese and toppings to the dough.
- Start cooking the pizza on a stove top burner on medium high for 3 minutes (longer for thick crust).
- Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 12 minutes at 550 degrees. If your oven temperature is lower, cook and additional 2-4 minutes or until golden.
- Use care when removing from the oven as the pizza will be extremely hot! Enjoy!!