Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe Type: Main
Serves: serves 4
I adapted this soup from a recipe from the Food Network’s Ten Dollar Dinners by Melissa d’Arabian. Don’t be scared off by the ingredients list. You can throw it together in about 15 minutes. It’s a real crowd pleaser on a cold winter’s day.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilis (we use Hatch brand)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked beans (black, kidney, pinto)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 20 tortilla chips (optional – eliminate if gluten free)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican style cheese (optional – eliminate if dairy free)
- Place the chicken, tomatoes (and juices), beans, broth, water, onion, garlic, jalapeno, cumin, lemon juice and chili powder in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Uncover the slow cooker and use tongs to remove the chicken from the pot. Once cool enough to handle, remove the meat and shred using two forks. Return to the pot. Crumble a few tortilla chips into each bowl and cover with some soup. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and grated cheese.
- Find the original recipe at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/slow-cooker-tortilla-soup-recipe.html?oc=linkback