One of the most common reasons women come to see me is for a hormonal health checkup. There are many symptoms associated with hormonal imbalances like cravings, hot flashes, night sweats, irritability or angry outbursts, extra weight especially around the middle and low libido to name a few.
I thought I’d share some healthy meal options that can help support your hormonal health. Keep in mind that everyone’s body is different – the exact number of calories you need is individual to you.
- Two soft- or hard-boiled eggs with ½ cup of berries.
- Mood lifter smoothie: ½ frozen banana, 1 tablespoon cacao powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon maca powder, ¼ cup fresh or frozen blueberries, and 1 cup almond milk. Blend and enjoy. Serves 1.
- Avocado pitted and stuffed with tuna or salmon salad.
- Cup of bone broth with collagen and apple slices. Consider adding lightly cooked vegetables to the bone broth (carrots, celery, onion, squash).
- Grilled steak, asparagus, and new baby potatoes.
- Shrimp or free-range chicken fajitas in cassava flour tortillas. Try Siete brand.
Some other things to remember:
- Our metabolism requires nourishment to fuel us so it can run properly. Ditch restrictive diets. They don’t work anyway.
- Get enough protein. It provides your body with amino acids that produce certain hormones like estrogen, insulin, and thyroid.
- Make sure you get steady sources of healthy carbs, minerals, and vitamins to allow your metabolism to function properly.
- Eat every 3-4 hours to support your blood sugar and eat within an hour of waking to support your liver and metabolism.
If you’d like to know more about how you can improve your hormonal health, I invite you to schedule a free Discovery call.